Friday, January 14, 2011

Planet of Perception

Planet of Perception
 
The thought crossed my mind today on my lunch break: 
In public, no one is completely themselves. Think about it, in an elevator for example, people usually act calm and quiet whether they want to or not. Because that's just what you do in an elevator! Who wrote these behavioral rules anyway?! Seems as though we all make a conscious effort to act the way we think is "acceptable" to others, or to even act "unacceptable" on purpose. One may do this to act like everyone else, fit in, seem tough, seem proper, stand out or prove a point. I think the society is selfish because of this. Everyone is their own planet, moving at their specific orbit around the sun. If life was about you and only you, I think God would have made a million planets, and put one person on their own planet. We have to all be together for a reason.

Seems like most of us judge each other at first sight (consciously and unconsciously). I believe most people are actually cool people, but society has taught us to judge.
 
So anyway, I ate in the cafeteria of this hospital i work right next to. As i sat down to eat, i noticed these two fat girls eating luch together across from me. Im sure just as i noticed they were rather large, they noticed I was really skinny. One of them was eating quietly and the other one was on the phone (and talking very loud about somebody's drama -_-). I guess i should add that they were both black (just to give you a visual). They both kept staring at me constanly. And i guess i was too. I mean I was sitting directly across from them. 

On my end it seemed like a 1:2 ratio of staring and I got a little uncomfortable lol. I could almost hear them saying "You skinny bitch" or "She needa eat more than that" in their minds lol. Ok, so there's no way i could be sure that's what they were thinking, but I felt like one of their first thoughts had to do with weight. I felt like they were judging my character in their minds, but really I was judging them by even thinking that they were judging me!...That's when I thought to myself, We (people )are soo deep in our own infinite tunnel of perception, we can't even see a person brand new when seeing or meeting them for the first time. It's not that I wanted to judge them, it was an automatic thought that I had no control over....
....Yea, just a thought
 
Speaking of perception...I was on concreteloop.com today and had hellA automatic thoughts in my mind when i saw this picture of (rapper) Gucci Mane:  o_O


 
Judging is bad. Yes, but damn. As an artist with kids looking up to you, "you got some splanning to dooo" *Husband from "I Love Lucy" voice* All the comments online were negative about Gucci's tat. Personally Gucci Mane doesn't add or take away from my life. I have a few of his songs in my i pod, but no i'm not a fan. I don't even listen to rap that much. I like it, but i love other kinds of music more. Anyway, my thought on this was: for real, if your gonna distort your face permanetly, at least go hard. Ice cream tho?! Not a gangster move! lol im sure some little kid has the same picture on their face somewhere, except they're at a birthday party and it's face paint. To me he looks like a fool, and i pity anyone who thinks he looks good. Although I never heard anyone say "Gucci is sexy" o_O lol. One of the people who commented online said gucci was "visually challenged". I guess that's their nice way to call him ugly. SMH.
 
So now, are we allowed to be in our "plant of perceptions?" is it okay to judge in Gucci's case???
 
Here's something someone name'd "QW" said on concreteloop.com:
 
QW
"See, white people are usually the ones to do crazy mess like this. But nowadays, we have our own foolish behind black men and women doing things that were never tolerated or celebrated in our homes our cummunity and culture. When did these things become o.k. or right? What the heck is wrong with these young men? Pants down to their knees, chains flooded with diamonds down to their bellies ( but no home to live in ) tatoos allover the face & body ( white boy sh!t ) and using vulgar language to describe women or being intimate with a woman ( throw it back & let me bust it wide open ). Now more lets get it on, the way you make me feel, and thats the way love goes.
Actually for me, I listen to musicians like Marvin, Michael, Teena M., Anita B. & Janet all the time & I sleep with my radio on WBLS, so I’m not in the ignorant nutso loop, but the kids & unfortunately some old fools are. This is sad & embarassing for our race. Where the most powerful, beatiful & talented creatures on this earth but yet alot of it gets overshadowed by bafoonery because the white media will embrace these images moreso so that we can be stereotyped by it and uninspired."

He seems to be from my parents's generation. I thought it was kinda funny, and i agree to a certain extent...Tell me what yall think? When should you be "allowed" to judge?

...Just a thought!














-Miss Sizzle

No comments:

Post a Comment